Friday, November 21, 2008

So last night marked the first time since being married that I was off duty. Off duty means Mandy was out of town overnight. Knowing that I would be off duty for a night, I got on Netflix and requested the latest Rambo movie. I was quite impressed to say the least. Even at 61 years old Stallone can still throw down with the best of them. Anyway, he is living in Thailand and working a boat and catching cobra's for a living, then some missionaries ask him to take them up the river into Burma, he initially is like, no way, but then does it. The missionaries are captured by some rebels that are pretty much just going through and killing everyone and that opens the door for Rambo to open up a can...if you know what I mean. Now, this movie definately deserved its R rating and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with a squemish stomach (or sensitive ears). But it does give a good look into the kind of warzones that missionaries risk their life going into everyday.That takes a special kind of person. Its interesting because I was talking to my kids last week about how rich we are, even in the midst of this bad economy...I mean, we have a car to get from point A to point B, 92 % of the people in the world dont have that luxury. I may look at my purple Toyota and think, "man, that thing is such an eyesore," but 92% of the rest of the worlds population would look at me in my ugly car and say, "man, that person is rich." I can get up off my couch and walk to the fridge, get out my Brita Water Jug and get a drink of water. Millions of children would look at me doing that and and think, rich. As Thanksgiving rolls around I think it would be good for all of us to take some time to think about how good we have it, and then take some time to think about how we can spread it around. Despite what the media tells us, we are rich...and lucky that we aren't being stalked by John Rambo.

Warning: You should probably stop reading here.
I talked to Brad yesterday about the movie before I watched it and he is like, "dude, text me when he rips the guys throat out." So naturally I'm like, yeah, ok. I thought he was being sarcastic. Low and behold, just as this rebel is about to do away with the woman missionary, Rambo pops up behind him, grabs him and literally rips out his throat. It was crazy. If you read that and are regretting it, I'm sorry that I'm not sorry, I warned you.

No comments: